We’re back! In 2014, Canberra Comedy Festival returns with a program of the world’s funniest comedians, in what will be Canberra’s biggest ever comedy event!
In March 2013, the inaugural Canberra Comedy Festival showed that Canberrans have an appetite for live Comedy, with 3,800 attendees and even a marriage proposal during a show! The 2014 festival will run from 4 to 9 March, beginning with a dazzling Opening Night Gala featuring performances from the festival’s best comedians. The festival will then host a whopping 50 stand-up comedy shows over the next five days.
Here are a few of our local acts that will be presenting shows at the festival announcing some of the big acts on the line-up:
The festival will be run in venues across Canberra, including: Canberra Theatre Centre, ANU Arts Centre, Novotel Canberra, and The Civic Pub. The shows presented will be a range of Canberran, Australian, and International comedians. Among the highlights:
– On the year of their thirtieth anniversary since they started busking in Canberra in 1984, the Doug Anthony All Stars will be reuniting! Paul McDermott and Tim Ferguson will introduce Flacco as “Richard” in this not to be missed premier event.
– International Irish superstar Jimeoin is returning to Canberra with his new show Yes, Yes, Whatever!?
– South African/New Zealand Comedian Urzila Carlson will visit Canberra for the first time
– Australian favourites Andrew Hansen and Chris Taylor (The Chaser’s War on Everything), Dave O’Neil (Tractor Monkeys), Glenn Robbins (Kath and Kim, Upper Middle Bogan, The Panel), Jeff Green (Melbourne International Comedy Festival, Good News Week), Peter Berner (The Einstein Factor), and Luke Heggie (Australia’s Got Talent) will all be presenting shows at the festival.
– Canberra Comedy Festival introduces a children’s comedy program for the first time, featuring Matty Grey’s Grossed Out Game Show, and also a Late Night Festival Club, to keep the adults entertained with even more late night laughs.
– Local favourites The Stevenson Experience, Emo Parsonson, Daniel Connell, Hamish Hudson, Dayne Rathbone, Chris Ryan, and Edwina Nelson, will all be presenting festival shows.
Tickets for shows such as The Opening Night Gala, The Doug Anthony All Stars, Jimeoin, Jeff Green, Glenn Robbins and many more go on sale on Friday December 13th. The full program, including many more Australian comedy stars, will be released in January 2014.
Associate Director Benjamin Stevenson says, “This is going to be the biggest gathering of Stand-Up Comedians ever to hit Canberra. The full program is absolutely mind-blowing. My hot tips? Grab a ticket to the Gala, last year the Gala sold out in less than 2 weeks, and the line-up this year is so good we have to keep it a secret! Jimeoin is always phenomenal and The Doug Anthony All Stars are not to be missed for their first show in 20 years! Other than that, go and see your favourites, but also choose a new act you might not have seen before, or maybe haven’t seen on TV, and be surprised at what you might discover!”
The Canberra Comedy Festival is supported by the ACT Government and is proudly run by Canberrans from the local Comedy scene in Canberra. Production is assisted by volunteers who are local amateur and professional comedians. The festival will allow the wider community to experience Canberra’s vibrant and burgeoning arts community centred on stand-up comedy.