About this policy
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information to produce the Canberra Comedy Festival and other comedy performances in Australia.
Collection of your personal information
At all times we try to only collect the personal information we need by lawful means and for the particular activity we are carrying out.
The main way we collect personal information about you is when you give it to us, for example, we collect personal information such as contact details when you:
- Contact us directly to make an enquiry
- buy tickets;
- make a comment on our website;
- use our social media;
- contract with us as a performer or service provider;
- engaged with us a as a volunteer.
Canberra Comedy Festival does not collect sensitive information about an individual unless:
- the individual consents and the information is reasonably necessary for one or more of the organisation’s functions or activities;
- or if there is a medical emergency;
- or if the organisation is required to collect such information under Australian law.
In the course of producing the festival and other shows, we may collect personal information about you indirectly from publicly available sources or from third parties such as ticketing agents operating on our behalf. You should check the privacy undertakings of third parties before providing your personal information.
We collect personal information from publicly available sources and third parties to enable us to contact persons who may be interested in our productions.
Where possible, we will allow you to interact with us anonymously or using a pseudonym (i.e. social media). However, for activities such as ticket sales, we usually need your name and contact information in order to ensure you receive all the necessary information about the show, including any updates to performances.
Collecting through our websites
The Canberra Comedy Festival has its own public website — www.canberracomedyfestival.com.au.
Where our websites allow you to make comments or give feedback we collect your email address and sometimes other contact details. We may use your email address to respond to your feedback. We store this personal information on servers operated by WPhosting.com.au and located in Sydney Australia.
Analytic, session and cookie tools
The information collected by these tools may include the IP address of the device you are using and information about sites that IP address has come from, the pages accessed on our site and the next site visited. We use the information to maintain, secure and improve our websites and to enhance your experience when using them. In relation to Google Analytics you can opt out of the collection of this information using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Social Networking Services
We use social networking services such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube to communicate with the public about our comedy productions. When you communicate with us using these services we may collect your personal information, but we only use it to help us to communicate with you and the public. The social networking service will also handle your personal information for its own purposes. These sites have their own privacy policies.
If Canberra Comedy Festival receives unsolicited personal information, the Festival will determine whether or not, in the normal course of business this information could have been collected if solicited. The personal information may be disclosed for the purpose of making this determination. If Canberra Comedy Festival determines that it could not have collected the information if solicited, it will destroy the information if it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
NOTIFICATION OF THE COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
USE OF DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Canberra Comedy Festival collects information from individuals to inform its operations and to identify how to best market its products and services and to whom. We may use your personal information for sending you regular updates on the comedy performances we produce. You can opt out of receiving direct marketing material by using the ‘unsubscribe’ option.
Your personal information may be further disclosed:
- to a contracted service provider where it is necessary for the Canberra Comedy Festival to facilitate your access to a performance;
- to a contracted performer or their agent who may use your personal information such as your email for marketing;
- where you have consented or otherwise authorised the Canberra Comedy Festival or its contracted service providers.
CROSS-BORDER DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Canberra Comedy Festival does not disclose personal information to overseas recipients other than performers or agents with who the Canberra Comedy Festival has a contract which includes disclosure of personal information such as email addresses for marketing purposes.
QUALITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Canberra Comedy Festival takes such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information the organisation collects, uses or discloses is accurate, up to date, complete and relevant to the organisation’s functions and activities. Changes to personal information are usually received directly from the individual or via a bounced email. Personal information is corrected or deleted on a daily basis or as required.
Personal information is corrected or deleted upon notification from the individual. The notification can be in the form of bounced emails or communication directly from the individual. Records are updated as required
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Canberra Comedy Festival takes such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to protect personal information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Access to personal information is restricted to Canberra Comedy Festival employees and volunteers that are directly responsible for the primary functions and activities related to that information.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
Canberra Comedy Festival will give an individual access to the personal information the organisation holds about them in the manner they request and within 14 day after the request has been received unless:
- Canberra Comedy Festival reasonably believes that giving access would pose a serious threat to the life, health or safety of an individual, or to public health or public safety;
- giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals;
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between Canberra Comedy Festival and the individual, and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings;
- giving access would reveal the intentions of the entity in relation to negotiations with the individual in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations;
- giving access would be unlawful;
- denying access is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court or tribunal order;
- both of the following apply:
- Canberra Comedy Festival has reason to suspect that unlawful activity or misconduct of a serious nature that relates to Canberra Comedy Festival’s functions or activities has been, is being or may be engaged in;
- Giving access would be likely to prejudice the taking of appropriate action in relation to the matter;
- giving access would be likely to prejudice one or more enforcement related activities conducted by or on behalf of an enforcement body; or
- giving access would reveal evaluative information generated within Canberra Comedy Festival’s connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process.
Canberra Comedy Festival reserves the right to charge the individual a reasonable fee for the provision of personal information.
If Canberra Comedy Festival refuses an individual access to their personal information, the reasons for that refusal will be communicated to that individual in writing.
CORRECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
If Canberra Comedy Festival is satisfied that it holds personal information about an individual that, having regard to the purpose for which the information was held, is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading; or if the individual requests Canberra Comedy Festival to correct the information, Canberra Comedy Festival will take such steps as are reasonable in each circumstance to correct the information.
If Canberra Comedy Festival refuses to correct this information, the organisation will provide the individual with a written notice outlining the reasons for refusal and the mechanisms available to complain about the refusal.